It’s that time of year again. It’s the time to make something pumpkin-y. But you are worried about the saturated fat in pie crust. And to make it worse, you have a vegetarian in the family, which means that your only alternative to animal fats like lard are trans fats like Crisco. Also, if you serve up an entire pie Uncle Larry will eat the entire thing. Some built in portion control would be nice. What do you do? ESCHEW THE CRUST. Make pudding.
- 1 16 oz can of pumpkin (plain!)
- 10 oz of evaporated milk (2 5 oz cans)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix everything up in a large bowl.
- Pour into 6 oz glass cups. Should fill 6-8 cups.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in oven for approximately an hour. As with pie, they are ready when a knife comes out clean.
- Let cool at room temperature, then refrigerate.
- Add a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream to the top to disguise any cracking :).