Traditionally, this sort of thing might be called crumble top apple pie, but that’s not what this is. This is apple crisp. In a pie shell.
- 3-5 apples (3 if large; 5 if tiny)
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and core apples, cutting them into cubes (slice thinly if you want it to cook more quickly).
- To make crumble topping, melt butter in a small bowl and use fork to combine with sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Place crumble mixture in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. This will make it much easier to crumble over the top.
- Dump apples in your pre-made crust that you probably bought from the grocery store, because making pie crust is really hard.
- Using a fork, scrape the frozen topping with it until it’s in small pieces, and then evenly distribute it over the top of the apples.
- Bake for 1 hour.